Sunday 17 February 2008

Review: New Rally X (XBLA)


Pac-Man with cars is short-lived fun.

Gameplay: I must admit when I first played this game I hated it: it was Pac-Mac with cars and bigger mazes. After I discovered that smoke could be used to block the other cars, and that the achievements were easy, I decided to take the plunge and splashed the 400M$. Actually the gameplay is pretty addictive, and once you start getting rocks and fuel issues, quite challenging. You always want just one more go.

Graphics: As a retro game it is hard to rate, but the complete lack of any tweaks or improvements means it is below par.

Sound: As with the graphics, they could have at least given us some nice menu music or anything!

Value: The real problem with Rally X is that you can get to the “final” achievement level (16) in an hour or so. There are an infinite number of continues, so this is just an exercise in practice and perseverance. There is no multiplayer or additional content to unlock. The achievements are all very easy.

Tilt: I actually quite liked this game once I got into it. It became quite addictive in a way that Pac-Man never does. Must be all that smoke!

5/10

No comments: